Monday, January 30, 2012

Introduction - Championing a learning institution.


I wanted to start this blog to record some of the thoughts I have about the process of starting a new role in Education (also to get back to writing which was a passion of mine that I somehow misplaced). The new role is a Teacher Development position which feels much like a human resources role. My 2012 goal is to put in place a process of development for teachers. I want this process to help create a culture of innovation and continuous improvement for the school. Tied in with this is the need to support teachers seeking accreditation and general training for staff as they identify it. 
Traditionally teachers and schools have pursued Professional Development in a somewhat haphazard manner with the thoughts that ‘teachers know what development they need for themselves.’ I agree in principle but developing yourself is hard. Being reflective is hard. Developing together in an effective way is even harder. I believe that a good process and a positive culture can help here and I am hoping to promote that - to be its champion if you will.  
In truth I am most interested in a school development program. Schools are its teachers and students. If schools are to develop and improve they need to:
  • Identify school goals for improvement
  • Take a measurement
  • Express those goals to staff
  • Assist staff to develop and to assess their development towards the goals
  • Take a new measurement and compare the difference
  • Reflect on the success of the process
That is to say an innovative institution where a culture of improvement and development exists requires people to develop together. A learning institution requires someone to be casting a vision of improvement and helping individuals to improve in this area. If everyone learns and develops in an area and puts in to place new and better ways of teaching that area then across a school all of the students can make improvements. A learning institution really acts like a learning individual. How do I get people to do that?
How do you create and promote an innovative, data driven, learning culture in a school or else where? Getting my school on this road is my 2012 goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment